Friday, August 26, 2011

Shall Earth no more inspire thee, Thou lonely dreamer now? Emily Bronte

Now that I have my mojo back on...I have a friend who wants to hear about pedestrians stepping out into traffic. It reminds me of being in Cairo, Egypt in 2002. I was visiting a lovely friend who indulged my passion for Lebanese food by taking me to the same restaurant everyday. To get there, we had to cross a four lane road, only in Cairo, that is a sixteen lane road. Cairenes will squeeze a vehicle into spaces no car is meant to go, which made it seem like we were living on the edge all the time. Which we were, being pedestrians.

My friend has a problem with pedestrians who step out into traffic in front of Carilion Roanoke Memorial. Maybe they are dazed by the coffee the hospital serves, or news of the impending death of a loved one, making them insensitive to their own approaching death. Me, I am heartened by the hoards of smokers clustered under the underpass bridge. At least Carilion provides shelter for all those people in wheelchairs...

More on this and Cairo after some coffee.